Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Season of Service

As the season of Lent approaches, it is time for everyone to start giving up the things they love for 40 days. In the past I have given up alcohol, candy, french fries, work, just to name a few. It is really a good thing to do, but is it enough?

This past Sunday, our Sunday School class lesson was about what the season of Lent is actually all about. Yes, it is great to give up something or sacrifice in order to remember about Jesus' ultimate sacrifice. But can we do more?

So, during the sermon (not that I wasn't paying attention Larry) my mind began to wonder about what else I can do during this time of the year. Then I came up with this idea, for the 40 days of Lent I will do one selfless act for another person. This could be as small as dropping change in the donation box at the pet store or it could be buying someone's gas or meal. Then I will make a post on Facebook and Twitter about what I did that day.

My hope is that everyone reading it will also do one selfless act themselves each day. This would then grow into a much larger event. We did this for Christmas in honor of the Connecticut Tragedy, so why not do it for ourselves.

As a parent, my ultimate job is to leave this Earth in better condition than when my life began for my two boys and the rest of the younger generation. This should be the goal of everyone. What if, for one day, everyone decided to do something good for someone else? Then we move to two days, then three, then a week, a month, a year? What would the world be like then?

So beginning tomorrow with Ash Wednesday, my 40 Days of Service will begin.

#40days
@ordindarychef
David Harrell (Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment