Here is my plan for Monday night.
First course is going to be a simple cheese fondue. Cut up some carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, apples and pears to have on hand for dipping. Next, grab a fondue pot...Cuisinart has a nice electric one so you don't need the Sterno.
Chipotle Cheese Fondue
2 cups Gruyere Cheese
2 cups Emmenthal cheese
1 1/2 T cornstarch
2 cloves, halved
1 1/3 dry white wine
1 T Lemon juice
Touch of nutmeg
3 canned Chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
- Toss cheeses together with cornstarch.
- Rub inside sauce pan with garlic, leave inside
- Add wine and lemon juice
- Bring to boil and stir in cheese mix
- Bring back to simmer and through in nutmeg, chilies and pepper to taste
- Transfer to fondue pot and serve.
Main course: Pan-Seared Strip with Red-Wine Pan Sauce and Pink-Peppercorn Butter
Pink Peppercorn Butter
1/4 cup butter
1 t minced thyme
1 t honey
1 t whole pink peppercorns
1 10 oz NY strip
2 t extra-virgin olive oil
1 t minced thyme
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
Pink Peppercorn prep
- Combine first 4 ingredients and mix with fork until peppercorns are crushed.
- Season with salt and pepper
- With plastic wrap, form into disk and chill
- Rub steak with oil
- Sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper
- Let stand 30 min
- Heat skillet and add steak
- Cook to desired (3 to 4 per side for medium rare)
- Transfer to plate and tent foil
- Add 1t oil to skillet and add shallot and saute till softened
- Add wine and boil until reduced by half, stirring often
- Add stock and salt
- Remove from heat and throw in butter mixture (Congrats, just made a beurre rouge)
- Cut steak against grain and divide among plates.
- Top with sauce
Can serve this dish with asparagus, broccoli or your favorite side.
There. Simple, yet effective.
Now go out there you crazy kids and have a great time on Valentine's Day. Enjoy your loved ones. Or better yet, try to make everyday Valentine's Day. You don't have to wait for a "special occasion" to tell that someone special how much you love them.