Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Perfect Sick Remedy

This past week started with a bang. Little Man woke up Monday morning with a sore throat and a high fever. Of course, being the Mr. GREAT Mom that I am, I get to go to the doctor with the boy. Doc Julee takes one look in his throat and says no doubt...Strep. Ok, no big deal. I can handle this. I have taken care of plenty of sick children. We rent Princess and the Frog (MY IDEA THANK YOU) and snuggle on the couch.

Well, that evening, Momma comes home and is complaining of not feeling well.

PAUSE...I have to tell a back story real quick that will make this tale even sweeter. I am notorious for getting sick. It does not matter what the kids had or if they were even sick...I got sick. Darling Wife has reminded me of this plenty of times. Anyway, back to the story...

So when I take her temperature, yes, she has a fever. Look in her throat? Well, I won't gross you with the details, but lets just say...it was a nice white mine field back there.

Of course, she tries to go into the office the next day. Makes it there, but has to turn right back around because she can't even function. (NOTE: Still no sickness for me) She walks in the door and goes straight to bed. I asked if I can fix her some soup and she mumbles something that sounded like OK.

Well, I look in the pantry and cannot find any canned soup. Well, I am in culinary school about to be a chef...I don't need any "canned soup". I can make this myself. Here is the recipe I used...which received rave reviews from the sick, mumbling patient in the other room.

Quinoa Vegetable Soup
2/3 cup quinoa
2 carrot, small diced
1 celery stalk, small diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of tomatoes (it is ok to use canned tomato)
~ 15 oz of chicken stock (broth can be substituted, but recommend unsalted stock) ***
~ 3 1/2 cups water
* I also used a little fresh basil and some dried rosemary.

1) Saute' the quinoa, carrot, celery, onion and garlic in medium sauce pot. Cook about 5 - 10 minutes until brown...DO NOT BURN
2) Pour in stock, water and tomatoes and bring to boil
3) Immediately turn down heat and simmer until quinoa and vegetables are tender...about 10 - 15 minutes.
4) Salt and pepper to taste

***The difference between stock and broth is the ingredients. You definitely want to have the no salt versions because you want to salt your own dishes.

I like to think this lead to the speedy recovery of my darling wife. Oh...and did I get sick...I think we all know what the answer to that one would be. I don't want to rub it in anyone's face THAT I NEVER GOT SICK! HA! TAKE THAT! sorry, I am so embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment