Monday, August 2, 2010

A Little SPICE in Your Life!

Sorry for the recent absence in posts, but the family and I have traveled to Colorado for the week. We are spending about 3 days at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs then up to Denver for a night then back down to the Cabin in Cuchara. It is mainly for D's work, but it is fun for me to tag along. I know...tough life, huh?

Anyway, wanted to chat a little bit about spices. Now, don't be afraid of them. They are not going to hurt you...well, some of them might bite you in the rump after a while, but in general they can be your friend!

You need to try as many spices as possible in order to know exactly how each spice works. There are the few that add a bitter flavor on the front end and those that add a little heat on the back end that can be wonderful.

Now, here is a trick of the culinary world...toast your spices first! But Ordinary Chef, if I heat the spice, don't I need a little fat to go in the pan or it will burn? Yes, nimrod, if you leave it in there for more than a couple of minutes. Here is the procedure...get your pan smoking hot. Add your spice and leave there for a minute. Take it off and store. Simple, right? Believe me, you will never want to not toast your spices again!

Now you are saying...what about the blended spices I get in my neighborhood grocery store? Those are fine, hell, I even use them on occasion. Just be careful and read your ingredients. If you can't pronounce it, then it should not be in there and should not be in your body.

Just remember...cooking should be fun. It should be an adventure, not a chore. Enjoy yourself and be kind to the food.

Good Cooking,
The Ordinary Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment